Thursday, October 16, 2008

day twenty-three


Today I'm throwing out more A/V cables, computer parts, and used printer cartridges. However, I don't want to just throw all the stuff away, some of them have salvageable parts that I know should be recycled or that people can use. In a way, this blog is turning somewhat into a how-to on how to responsibly dispose of things that should not go into a landfill.
For example, this blog has been hell on batteries for my digital camera; I have run through a pack of eight in about a week. I found that locally, you can recycle batteries at the library right down the street, in addition to Walgreens stores around town. I had forgotten about that, this was a good reminder. I will just collect all I have before I take them in. I don't think they accept laptop batteries, but I may be able to recycle them through the manufacturer. I also found another chicago city government project that will recycle old computer parts, and it looks like it's free. A lot of this information comes from earth911.org and of course cursory Google searches. There are some IDE and floppy cables I am getting rid of as well, that will go to this recycling center. (My next computer won't even use IDE, at least for hard drives, since SATA is the new standard.) I checked into dropping some of this computer stuff off at a local Staples, but they charge, and like I've mentioned earlier, it just doesn't seem right to charge extra for something that is the right thing to do, especially since it would be free to throw the stuff in the garbage. I also have some old speaker cable, RJ-58 cable, and printer cartridges to get rid of. Hopefully the recycling center will take that stuff as well.
more (crappy) pics:

No comments: