Thursday, October 9, 2008

day sixteen


In my day life I work in tech, so having this stuff lying around isn't surprising. What is surprising though is that I kept these items, but had no intention of using them again. One of the CD drives I actually taped closed; that's a pretty good indication that it doesn't work. To be honest, I think I had it in an old machine to just keep there from being a gap in the drive bays. Now though, I no longer have that luxury, as anything that isn't nailed down has to go. The power supply burned out awhile ago, I have no idea why I kept it. I think that I thought it wasn't really blown, but I turned it on and got nothing, so it's getting chucked. The laptop battery at the top is dead too, no reason to hang on to that.
One nice side effect of this project is that every time I go into an area to start throwing stuff away, I find other stuff that's ready to go to, for example, those black dividers to the right. Those were originally part of a CD stand, but that stand is long gone, yet I still have those dividers. Why? Partly because at some level, I have amassed enough stuff to not know what the heck I have.
Another issue I have is putting this stuff into the landfill. So, I went into a local Staples because I heard that they had a recycling program. However, like a lot of these recycling programs, there is a charge. It's hard to do the right thing when the right thing to do is harder than the wrong thing. I did find some websites with information about the topic for Chicago area. My best bet is to just collect all the electronic items into one stack and then just pay the 5 or 10 dollars to have the stuff recycled. I guess the right thing sometimes costs you, but in a way, that's good, because it makes you appreciate that you did the right thing.

1 comment:

The Wabbit said...

You can post things that you don't want, even if they are broken, on a site called www.freecycle.org

You post what you don't want and takers contact you to pick up anything they want. It's been a great way to get rid of things around here as well.