Friday, October 17, 2008

day twenty-four


Technology has moved on, and the CD has gone the way of the dinosaur. In this case, most of the CD's here were made for a wedding I DJ'd last summer; however, I didn't make track lists, so they are basically worthless to me now, and I have all the music in my iTunes already. I also went through some old software that I won't use anymore, like TurboTax from 2003, driver disks for hardware I no longer own, and a copy of GigaSampler LE, which only runs on Windows 98. I think it's pretty safe to say I won't go back to that platform just to use a piece of software. It looks like I got rid of at least 50 CD's. There were also a few DVD-R's that I chunked, because they were already on my computer. There are some software CD's that I don't think I will use, but might make images of just in case, before I throw them away too. Before, I needed a milk crate and another storage unit, both filled, to hold all the disks. Now, it fits in one. Fantastic!
One nice effect from this project has been that as I've thrown something away, it has alerted me to more stuff that I don't need, leading to a kind of snowball effect. For example, a lot of the CD's I got rid of were backups for a multitrack recorder I just sold on eBay, so they were pretty useless. And going through my old books clued me in to the numerous college papers that I had accumulated and kept for no obvious reason. Additionally, I keep clearing out storage boxes, so it will be much easier to get everything packed away should I need to move or just to get things out of the living area. It has also really opened up my living space; when I first moved in, the only downside was that I had too much stuff for the space. Now however, it seems like my stuff fits much more easily. Fancy that. :)

No comments: